Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Results Oriented Work Environment ROWE

I read in the 48 Days newsletter http://www.48days.com by Dan Miller how Results Oriented Work Environments or ROWE are becoming more popular and Best Buy leads in this. ROWE is where employees are compensated for results instead of time. In other words, you don't have to physically be in the office to get paid. You could be at home or anywhere and working, maybe with your laptop, on a conference call or making and taking calls. You don't have to keep track of your time and make sure you make it up when you leave early or come in late. You don't even have to go into the office at all.

I went to the Best Buy Website and then Careers but did not find anything on ROWE mentioned. I also searched on some open job postings. There wasn't anything there either.

I really like the results oriented idea but what I don't see happening is that you can live anywhere and work at Best Buy or another company that is results oriented. This appeals to me because I live in an area where there just isn't that much opportunity. I would love to choose work based on employer versus location. If one lives in a large metropolitan area, there are numorous oppotunities. Smaller more rural areas are very slow to change and opportunities are limited.

I will be looking for this attitude toward work to flourish in other geographical areas as well as expand in scope.

No comments: